Career Posting : Gas Utility ManagerView All Postings
Closing Date: December 10, 2022 5:00 pm
The Dene Tha’ First Nation (DTFN) is inviting applications from experienced members for the position of Gas Utility Manager. This position is a 2-year full-time contract position that offers a competitive benefits package.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Operations, the Gas Utility Manager shall be responsible for operational oversight of natural gas and propane services to three separate communities – Bushe River, Meander River, and Chateh.
Functions and Key Responsibilities:
- Regular reporting to the DTFN Executive Director of Operations (EDO); general response to member or customer gas service needs and follow-up in solving member or customer needs. Supervision of DTNGU employees.
- Leading and coordinating the safe, efficient construction, maintenance and operation of the Nation’s gas transmission and distribution systems.
- Performing inspections of activities to ensure adherence to Nation standards, internal policies, procedures, and external regulations.
- Preparing for and responding to gas related emergencies.
- Support and carry out gas meter reading according to a repetitive cycle and coordinate submission of readings with the Federation of Alberta Gas Coops Ltd. RUBIS system.
- Monitor all customer payments and notifications for turn-off and turn-on of service due to lack of payment.
- Oversee and direct 24-hour emergency response services.
- Conduct or oversee minor repairs to heating systems within the scope of the Operator’s certification,
- All other repairs are conducted by qualified sub-contractors arranged for and supervised by the Operator.
- Respond to and arrange for line repairs, upgrades, extensions, and individual building service connections.
- Either by the Operator or by qualified sub-contractors or supplier of natural gas or propane gas,
- Location of underground utilities is to be arranged with and verified by Alberta OneCall service,
- To carry out such maintenance in accordance with best practices and the Federation of Alberta Gas Coops Ltd Operations and Maintenance Manual.
- Possess required safety and training certificates related to the designated gas utility operation (e.g., WHIMIS, first aid, confined entry, etc.) and comply with all provisions of the Worker’s Compensation Act, the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations. Additionally, possess the minimum training certificates provided by the Federation of Alberta Gas Coops Ltd. and be committed to enrolling in and completing annual gas operator training programs.
- Education related to the construction, maintenance and/or operation of the Nation’s gas transmission and distribution systems.
- Technical or Trade programs in a related field would be an asset.
- 2-5 years of Management experience.
- Ability to demonstrate safe work habits and adhere to safety regulations.
- Able to take initiative, work independently and with others.
- Excellent leadership skills and team-building ability.
- Highly developed supervisory, risk and crisis management skills.
- Possesses an ability to write and produce quality reports in a timely manner.
- Proficient computer literacy.
- Any related education and training will be considered an asset.
The successful candidate must have a valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s License with reliable transportation, and willingness to travel. Must also provide a clear criminal record check.
Remuneration dependent on qualifications and experience.
Interested parties should forward a detailed resume by Friday, December 10, 2022 @ 5:00 PM to:
Personnel Services Coordinator / HR
Dene Tha’ First Nation
P.O. Box 120 Chateh, AB T0H 0S0
Fax: (780) 321-3863 or (780) 321-3886
We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.