Career Posting : Financial ControllerView All Postings
Closing Date: August 12, 2022 12:00 am
The Dene Tha’ First Nation (DTFN) is currently recruiting a Financial Controller. This is a full-time position with a competitive
The Financial Controller, reporting directly to the Executive Director of Operations, shall be responsible for managing the
finance and accounting departments of our organization. Main duties include evaluating the operations of the finance,
accounting and audit departments, implementing financial systems for records management, and preparing financial statements
and reports for upper management and shareholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop models and projections to estimate what finances will look like over the course of a year.
• Hire, manage, and train new staff members.
• Prepare financial statements, analyses, and reports.
• Make recommendations for improving policies and systems in place.
• Provide accurate information to Leadership including budgeting, analysis, forecasting, and preparation of monthly
financial statements and reports.
• Oversee data processing, maintain accounting systems, and implements changes as required.
• Cash flow reporting and management.
• Maintains the general ledgers and financial records in a manner suitable for internal and external reporting
• Works collaboratively with directors and managers to ensure that the general ledger is kept up-to-date including
training and orientation of the systems as necessary.
• Ensures that balance sheet accounts are accurate and that operating statement accounts are periodically reviewed for
reasonability in relation to internal budgets.
• Ensures that sub-ledgers are congruent with general ledger balances, where applicable.
• Oversees monthly and year-end accruals as required.
• Prepare, oversee with the preparation of draft year-end financial statements and working papers for the auditors.
• Assists with the preparation of financial reporting to funders and donors.
• Assists with the design and implementation of financial management policies, procedures, and systems.
• First point of contact for auditors on transactional matters.
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Post-secondary degree in Business Administration or Accounting.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in financial accounting including general ledger, payroll, accounts payable, and
financial statement preparation and 3 years of management experience
• Proficient in Microsoft applications.
• Numbers expert, accurate, detail oriented, analytical and strong problem-solving abilities Strong understanding and
knowledge of all aspects of corporate accounting and financial management.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills at all levels within an organization
• Strong time management skills, and the ability to prioritize and provide timely responses to both urgent and non-urgent
• Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
• Professional accounting designation preferred but not required.
The successful candidate must have a valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s License with reliable transportation, and willingness to
travel. Must also provide a clear criminal record check.
Remuneration dependent on qualifications and experience.
Interested parties should forward a detailed resume by Friday, August 12, 2022 @ 5pm to:
Personnel Services Coordinator / HR
Dene Tha’ First Nation
P.O. Box 120 Chateh, AB T0H 0S0
Fax: (780) 321-3863 or (780) 321-3886